Youth Arts Queensland is not only for young artists but the industry and community networks that work with and support those artists, right across Queensland. Our work with industry and community takes direction from Horizons, Queensland’s children and young people in the arts sector vision 2009 – 2013.
The vision articulated in this document says:
‘A Queensland that is enriched by the creativity of its children and young people.’
While YAQ plays a critical role in driving this vision forward, each established artist, arts administrator, school teacher, workshop facilitator, events coordinator, business owner, youth or community worker, parent or volunteer that engages young people in the arts takes part in bringing Horizons alive.
Our initiatives strategically address the five key areas, or ‘aspirations’, set out in Horizons:
- Arts and education
- Access and equity
- Arts practice
- Sustainable careers
What you can do to help achieve Horizons
- Join a local arts network and get in touch with other people in your area working with children and young people.
- Share information about projects you are working on.
- Participate in skills development workshops and networking events.
- Connect with local government, schools, community organisations, arts groups, galleries, libraries and youth services in your local area to advocate for children and young people’s arts and cultural engagement.
- Keep in touch with key organisations including peak bodies like YAQ and sign up to newsletters to keep up to date with what’s happening in your area and beyond.
If you have other ideas or want to share your thoughts – we’d love to hear from you! Connect with us.